Place mats make the perfect clutch or purse. They not only come in many colors, prints, textures & shapes but the edges are already finished.
You can use bamboo, woven or quilted place mats. You can also find place mats at thrift stores & Dollar stores.
Here are the instructions for a purse...
- FABRI-TAC GLUE
- 20” bamboo or fabric place mat of your choice.
- 1” wide canvas webbing fabric for handle, 2 pieces each 30” long. Use any coordinating color to your place mat.
- Medium size rickrack in a coordinating color.
- ½” wide polka dot grosgrain ribbon, or other decorative ribbon.
- Six fabric daisies or other embellishments of choice.
- Clips or spring-type clothes pins
- Fold each 30” canvas handle in half. Glue handles to the inside of the place mat with the FABRI-TAC GLUE and hold in place with the clips until dry.
- Allow handles to dry for at least 12 hours. With FABRI-TAC, glue along the inside right and left edges of the place mat, fold over, and gentle press to form purse. Hold edges together with clips while drying.
- Cut lengths of polka dot ribbon and glue to front of purse as in photo. Repeat on the back if desired. Glue similar lengths of rickrack to purse, one above the ribbon and one below.
- Attach six fabric flowers between the ribbons. Let everything dry at least overnight before using.